Sign up Latest Topics Donate
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Mouse

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 88
Reply with quote  #1 
This is one thing I have yet to work with and that is a metal roof. There is no demand for it in this area, not even with business buildings. So I was reading this and I wanted to see what you guys thought on it. They say a metal roof could last 50+ years... Get out!?

"If properly applied, metal roofs can last well past 50 years as opposed to shingles, which may last between 15 and 20 years," Newmyer said. "There are metal roofs that have been on over 100 years and are still water tight. You can't say the same of a shingle roof."

article 
0
Premature Roofer

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 207
Reply with quote  #2 
Metal roofing must have changed in the last 20 years. I always remembered there being so many downsides to it. Lasting 50 years or more seems/wounds like a pipe dream. I would like to see this be tested before I believe it.
0
TatMan

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 206
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premature Roofer
Metal roofing must have changed in the last 20 years. I always remembered there being so many downsides to it. Lasting 50 years or more seems/wounds like a pipe dream. I would like to see this be tested before I believe it.


I have heard of them being good for 30 years so in the right area, I am sure 50 can happen but on a house, I am not sure. A house is a bit different than a commercial building. I have never seen nor heard of anyone wanting a metal roof around here on their home.
0
DarkRivers

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 228
Reply with quote  #4 
I think this is BS. Unless they some how made metal roofing better these days, I won't believe it. They haven't even been able to test a newer one for 50 years to see if it will last either. 
0
pengu1n

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 62
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRivers
I think this is BS. Unless they some how made metal roofing better these days, I won't believe it. They haven't even been able to test a newer one for 50 years to see if it will last either. 


I never really paid much attention to business roofing around here but I know without a doubt I have NEVER seen a metal roof on a house. It just sounds strange. Wouldn't that attract lightening too?
0
Jackpack

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #6 
They can under the right conditions but that is not to say they won't show signs of age. I think they are butt ugly and I would never want this kind of roof on my house.
0
boneback

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 67
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpack
They can under the right conditions but that is not to say they won't show signs of age. I think they are butt ugly and I would never want this kind of roof on my house.


There are MANY commercial buildings around here who have had metal roofing for years. Stainless steel holds up well but it is very expensive. Even just the coating ain't cheap. 
0
Jacob

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 183
Reply with quote  #8 
I personally like the look and wish we had more people who requested them to be done. They don't look as bad as they once did.

[rustic-standing-seam-metal-roof] 
0
Britanica

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 531
Reply with quote  #9 
Metal roofing can last a long time. If you take care of it, lasting 50 years is not unheard of. I am not a fan for the sound and the heat. They tend to sound louder when it is raining and they also hold in heat a bit too much. 
0
Rick Wolf

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 50
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britanica
Metal roofing can last a long time. If you take care of it, lasting 50 years is not unheard of. I am not a fan for the sound and the heat. They tend to sound louder when it is raining and they also hold in heat a bit too much. 


They aren't as loud as I honestly thought they would be. It isn't like a tin roof. I have done a few myself but it isn't common here. My buddy owns a house with a metal roof and I actually like the light tap sounds it makes when it rains. 
0
Roofin Joe

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 167
Reply with quote  #11 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob
I personally like the look and wish we had more people who requested them to be done. They don't look as bad as they once did.

[rustic-standing-seam-metal-roof] 


See I am not a fan of these. They look plastic to me. They make the house look odd. Maybe if it was not a on brick and wood house it would look better? I am just not a fan. I can't see them lasting longer than 30 years either. 

0
Jackpack

Avatar / Picture

Elite Roofer - Platinum Member
Registered:
Posts: 232
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneback


There are MANY commercial buildings around here who have had metal roofing for years. Stainless steel holds up well but it is very expensive. Even just the coating ain't cheap. 


Well I would think it would be if it was made not to rust or tarnish. Are these metal roofing "shingles" painted or coated? Or are they just dyed metal? 
0
John Love

Avatar / Picture

Foreman
Registered:
Posts: 13
Reply with quote  #13 
A metal roof can stand for more than 100 years, it all depends on the material and climate, where the house is located.
__________________

 
0
jgrabe

Apprentice
Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #14 
QUESTION!

We recently had a raised seam metal roof installed on our home. The roofer has since then gone out of business. The installation looks great and seems as though it was done very professionally.

The Roof was cleared of shingles and all wood that required replacement was replaced. A rubber type membrane was attached and the roof was installed directly on top of that.

Part of our home has a cathedral ceiling and a significant exposure to the sun. We live in Florida and it does get hot. We run AC and keep it about 72-75 degrees.

In the part of our home with the cathedral ceiling, mold has begun to appear at the opening where the ceiling fan is located, where a Track Light is installed and where a Bathroom Fan is installed.

It appears to us to be a venting issue, but we are not sure how to proceed or what a potential solution may be.

Any Ideas? 

0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.